Australia has a skilled migration program in place in order to combat skill shortages in certain occupations. This policy is integral to the country’s economic growth and maintaining of a multicultural and harmonious society.
For General Skilled Migration to Australia, you or your spouse must be able to satisfy the following basic requirements:
- You must be under 45 when you apply.
- You must have sufficient ability in the English for working in Australia
- A higher level of English is required for certain occupations where English ability forms part of the skills assessment
- In the Skilled-Designated Area Sponsored categories and the Skill Matching visa category you may be eligible with a lower level of English
- You must have post-secondary (such as university or trade) qualifications (in a small number of occupations substantial relevant work experience may be acceptable)
- Your skills must have been assessed by the relevant Australian skills assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
Nominated occupation »
- When you apply, you must nominate a skilled occupation which fits your skills and qualifications.
- Your nominated occupation must be on the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs’ (DIMIA) Skilled Occupations List (SOL)
- If your nominated occupation is not on the list you cannot apply
Recent work experience »
- This requirement is separate to the need to have your skills assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation before you apply.
- If your nominated occupation is worth 60 points, you must provide evidence of work experience for at least 12 of the 18 months immediately before applying
- If your nominated occupation is worth 40 or 50 points, you must provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in an occupation on the SOL for at least 2 of the 3 years immediately before applying
- In the Skill Matching or Skilled-Designated Area Sponsored categories, you may be eligible with less work experience
- You do not need to meet work experience requirement if you have completed an Australian qualification less than 6 months before lodging your visa application*
* Conditions apply
- There are different categories for skilled migration. Furthermore, you must score sufficient Points for your application to succeed.
Send us an inquiry now to see if you’re eligible!